This is for new installs ONLY
If you are upgrading PHP POS from a previous version follow the instructions at Upgrading PHP Point Of Sale (Manual Install)
Below are the steps for installing PHP Point Of Sale manually onto your existing server.
PHP Point Of Sale must be installed on a server that has the following software installed.
- PHP 7 or greater
- Mysql 5 or greater (5.6.4 or higher recommended)
- GD 2 Library
- php xml
- php zip
SoapClient (if using Mercury/Vantiv credit card processing)
download the Manual/Source Install (.zip) version:
Below are the instructions for creating a database and database user for the application. Most servers provided by hosting companies provide access to cPanel. If so you should follow the instructions for cPanel.
Servers with cPanel
- Login to cPanel and open MySQL Databases
Open "mySQL Databases"
- Create a New Database and name it something similar to this:
- Scroll down to "Add New User" and Add a New User for the application to use:
Add a New User
- Scroll further down and Add the User To the Database we just created:
Add User to Database
- Assign all privileges to the user for our new database:
- download the .zip file from PHP POS Download Page
Enter your email address and a link to the following page should be sent to your email if you cannot find the original:
- Upload the zip file:
Upload the .zip file
Once the upload is finished you should see this:
Upload finished, go back.
- Extract the file to your www root folder:
Extract the file to the public_html folder or "webroot"
- Rename the folder to "pos"
- Navigate to "application/config/database.php.tmpl" and change the name of the file to "database.php"
rename database.php.tmpl to database.php
- Open the Code Editor and edit database.php
12: Edit the following lines below the //comments
$active_group = "default"; $query_builder = TRUE; //1. This should be your db server name; usually localhost or 127.0.0.1 $db['default']['hostname'] = 'localhost'; $db['default']['dsn'] = ''; // 2. Enter your database username you created $db['default']['username'] = 'mike_phppos'; //3. Enter your database password you created $db['default']['password'] = 'YOURPASSWORD'; //4. Enter your database name you created $db['default']['database'] = 'mike_phppos'; $db['default']['dbdriver'] = 'mysqli'; $db['default']['dbprefix'] = 'phppos_'; $db['default']['pconnect'] = FALSE; $db['default']['db_debug'] = FALSE; $db['default']['cache_on'] = FALSE; $db['default']['cachedir'] = ''; $db['default']['char_set'] = 'utf8'; $db['default']['dbcollat'] = 'utf8_general_ci';
Click Save Changes
Save the changes we made!
- Open your browser and enter the URL for your server. If you named the folder 'pos' you should see
this after you click install:
Inital installation complete, click on Login
- Installation is now complete!
make sure to change the password later!
Servers without cPanel
- Open phpMyadmin or mysql from the command line and create a new database. Type “pointofsale” in the "Create new database" field and click Create to create the database in phpMyAdmin. phpMyAdmin can often be accessed from your control panel form your hosting company.
Creating a database in phpMyAdmin
- Once database has been created, a message will be displayed in the phpMyAdmin saying "Database pointofsale has been created" (as shown below)
Created a database
Upload & Configuring Code
Configuring the database
- To configure the database, go to "phppos/application/config" In this folder rename "database.php.tmpl” to "database.php" and open in a text editor.
Scroll down to the bottom of the file where you see the below. Edit all lines in with comments below to match your database configuration. Do NOT change any other lines.
$active_group = "default"; $query_builder = TRUE; //This should be your db server name; usually localhost $db['default']['hostname'] = 'localhost'; $db['default']['dsn'] = ''; //This is your database username $db['default']['username'] = 'root'; //This is your database password $db['default']['password'] = ''; //This is your database name $db['default']['database'] = 'pointofsale'; $db['default']['dbdriver'] = 'mysqli'; $db['default']['dbprefix'] = 'phppos_'; $db['default']['pconnect'] = FALSE; $db['default']['db_debug'] = FALSE; $db['default']['cache_on'] = FALSE; $db['default']['cachedir'] = ''; $db['default']['char_set'] = 'utf8'; $db['default']['dbcollat'] = 'utf8_general_ci';
Then save the "database.php" file. If it doesn’t allow saving, save it to desktop, then replace the file with the existing one.
After configuring the files, simply copy all the files to your web server!
NOW YOU ARE DONE!
point your browser to http://yourserver.com/PATH/TO/PHPPOS and follow the on screen steps
The default username is "admin" and the default password is "pointofsale"
Article is closed for comments.